Rotarians celebrate dedication of San Jose Tower

Landmark now on National Historic Registry

The infamous San Jose Estates, which began to be built during the 1920s, now has an official symbol to represent the development’s place in history. Thanks to the efforts of a group of dedicated Rotarians, the attractive Marsh and Saxelbye designed Mediterranean Revival, two-story stucco-covered tower now has historic designation status on the National Historic Registry.
_DSC8381 _DSC8386
This remaining tower [of four], located at 1873 Christopher Point Road N., marked the northernmost entrance to the San Jose Estates during the late Florida land boom. Highlighted by a cartouche incised with SJE (San Jose Estates) just above the the gatehouse keystone during the original construction, the detail still remains a part of the facade.
San Jose Rotarians, led by Tower Chairman Jim Culp, worked tirelessly to dedicate the historic tower since 2007, a lengthy five-year process. The landmark status had faced a series of setbacks during property negotiations, permitting, engineering and compliance with the city’s Historic Commission policies. “We, as a club, have preserved a piece of history, the San Jose history,” said Culp, as he spoke at the dedication. “Membership today and members to come should be proud of their contributions.”

The dedication took place May 26 at the site adjacent to San Jose Blvd. with Rotary Club of San Jose members and their families present.

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (No Ratings Yet)
Loading...

You must be logged in to post a comment Login